As part of another project I started doing some testing with batteries.
The following shows the comparison of the performance of a 9 V alkaline
battery and a "9" V NiCad battery.
I have seen figures for similar tests, but almost never with labeled axes
so its hard to get anything more than a qualitative feel for the differences.
The test setup was the following:
- The battery under test was powering a 78L05 5 V (100ma max) regulator.
- The regulator was providing output with a 72.25 ma load.
- The battery voltage and the regulator output voltages were measured
simultaneously by a Forth program that was
invoked every 20 minutes by cron on my Linux
PC. The program read a multi-channel 12-bit A/D board made by
Computer Boards Inc.
and averaged 10 samples and them appended the data with a timestamp
to a data file.
- The alkaline battery was a new fresh Duracell® battery.
- The NiCad battery was charged overnight just before doing the test.
Taygeta's home page